‘Zawinul‘ is the title of the fifth solo studio album released by legendary jazz rock/jazz fusion pioneer Joe Zawinul (also co-founder and co-frontman of the legendary American jazz rock/jazz fusion band Weather Report along with Wayne Shorter). The album was released in May 1971 through Atlantic Records. It has a total length of 35 minutes and 45 seconds.
The LP was recorded between 6 August and 28 October 1970 at Atlantic Studios in New York City. It was produced by Joel Dorn and is a very interesting mixture of jazz rock/jazz fusion, hard bop, and soul jazz. ‘Zawinul’ consists of 5 tracks as follows, all of them composed by Josef ‘Joe’ Erich Zawinul himself:
- Doctor Honoris Causa;
- In a Silent Way;
- His Last Journey;
- Double Image;
- Arrival in New York.
Commercially, the album proved to be a major success as it reached position 17 on Billboard Jazz Albums chart the year in which it was released. Additionally, in critical regards, the LP was favourably to very favourably reviwed by such specialized music publications as Allmusic (which gave it 4 out of 5 stars), The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide (which also gave it 4 out of 5 stars), or The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (which gave it a maximum of 4 out of 4 stars).
The recording personnel was represented by the following musicians:
- Josef ‘Joe’ Erich Zawinul – acoustic and electric piano;
- Herbie Hancock – electric piano;
- George Davis – flute (on tracks 1 to 3 and 5);
- Hubert Laws – flute (solely on track 4);
- Woody Shaw – trumpet (on tracks 1, 2, 4, and 5);
- Jimmy Owens – trumpet (solely on track 3);
- Earl Turbinton – soprano saxophone (on tracks 1 to 3 and 5);
- Wayne Shorter – soprano saxophone (solely on track 4);
- Miroslav Vitouš – bass;
- Walter Booker – bass;
- Billy Hart – percussion;
- David Lee – percussion;
- Joe Chambers – percussion;
- Jack DeJohnette – melodica (solely on track 3) and percussion (solely on track 4).
The technical personnel was as follows:
- Gene Paul – recording engineer;
- Lew Hahn – recording and remixing engineer;
- Ed Freeman – cover design and photography.
Therefore, that being said and without any further needless ado on my behalf, below you can integrally listen to the ‘Zawinul’ by the one and only legendary jazz rock/jazz fusion pioneer Joe Zawinul! I truly hope you’ll like it! All the best, much health, take care, stay safe, many blessings, and great peace your way! God bless you and keep on listening to jazz fusion! 😊🙏✌️☮️
- Zawinul on www.wikipedia.org (in English)